Car services may sound fancy, but they’re a necessity in NYC. You pretty much have to call one if you’re traveling around Brooklyn and Queens, as cabs are far and few between in the outer boroughs. Here are our tips, along with what we think are the best car services. Put the numbers in your phone now, so you don’t get stuck in Greenpoint at 4am after a night pounding Jack and picklebacks at Saint Vitus.
- Car services are a must if you’re in any of the outer boroughs, or want to get to the airport. They’re open 24 hours a day.
- Don’t take a cab to the airport, by the way – it’s super pricey. Car services are a better deal, and will usually cost you between $45-55 dollars without tip. Average tip for an airport trip is $5 and up (we usually tip $8-10).
- Sometimes car services or unmarked sedans will attempt to pick you up in the city if you’re trying to hail a cab. That’s illegal, and can even be dangerous if you’re a woman traveling alone. On occasion these fly-by-night services might rip you off, charging $30 for a trip that should be $12. Don’t take a car service unless you’ve specifically called one.
- Speaking of fares, ask how much it’s going to cost on the phone or at the beginning of your trip. It’ll be a little bit more expensive than a cab, but only by a dollar or two.
- Tipping – tips are usually included in the price of a regular borough-to-borough (NOT airport!) trip, although it’s always nice to give $2 if your driver is cool.
Our picks for car services:
Dial 7 - Great for airport trips. You can make your reservations online and pay by credit card. 212-777-7777
Gotham Limousine – Another good one for airport trips. 212-465-2277
New Day – Online reservations, they take credit cards, and have hourly rates. 212-228-6666
NYC Express Limo – If you’re traveling to/from the airport, or are out for the night with a big group, try NYC Express Limo. 212-244-2444
Arecibo – Hands down, one of the BEST car services in Brooklyn – they’re always only 5 minutes away. A good one to call if you’re in South Brooklyn (Carroll Gardens, Cobble Hill, Park Slope, Boerum Hill, Clinton Hill, Ft. Greene). 718-783-6465
Northside – Williamsburg and Greenpoint’s first car service of choice. Tip: they have a location on Bedford Avenue, too. 718-387-2222
Delancey – They may be brusque (“Delancey! Where? Five minutes!”), but they’re fast and reliable. Great for getting around Manhattan if you don’t want to bother with a cab. They’ll take you to the airport, too. 212-228-3301